Being arrested and charged for driving under the influence (DUI) of drugs or alcohol is a scary experience and can have a significant impact on your life. Everyone makes mistakes, but it shouldn’t cost you your career, your happiness or you entire savings account. Nowadays, the penalties for a DUI are severe and can cost you your driver’s license or even sentence you to jail time.
If you have been charged with a DUI, talk to a qualified DUI defense attorney in your area. Criminal cases involving DUI are complex and are best taken on by an attorney who has scientific knowledge and experience with this particular area of the law.
Representing Yourself Can be Disastrous
There are more than 70 consequences that may be incurred after a DUI conviction, ranging from higher rates for life insurance and auto insurance to the denial to immigrate to Canada. If you are required to drive to work or drive as part of your job, a DUI may jeopardize your financial stability. You may also be denied entry into professional schools such as medical school and law school. Therefore, it is important that you consider your future when deciding whether to hire an attorney to represent your case. If you attempt to navigate the legal process on your own, it can be daunting, overwhelming and unsuccessful.
Defenses Used in DUI Cases
Several defense tactics that your DUI defense attorney may use include:
- Lack of probable cause to stop or contact your vehicle
- Weaving inside the lane, which is not illegal
- Driving over the fog line a single time may not validate the stop and/or contact of the vehicle
- If you pulled safely off the roadway (a defense to your “physical control” of the vehicle)
- Anonymous report of DUI (the officer must have corroborated the report)
- Patrol car videos, which may contradict an officer’s report
- Corpus Delicti (the officer must prove defendant was actually driving)
- Faulty breath tests
An experienced DUI lawyer can review every detail to make sure you get a fair trial that gives you a chance to win. An unlawful DUI stop, a police officer’s mistake or failure to follow proper procedure weakens the prosecution’s case against you, and could mean the difference between a permanent DUI on your record and a slap on the wrist.
If you are in need of a qualified DUI defense attorney in your area, please click here to learn more.